Tuesday 28 February 2012

New habits are hard to break

Today I had my first carbs since Jan 1st – that's 8 weeks by my reckoning and its been far easier living without them than I thought. So much easier, in fact, that's it taken a lot of persuasion, by concerned friends (Hannah in particular) for me to eat them again. I conceded with some wholemeal spaghetti with my bolognese sauce tonight. It was good, but not that good. After my plateau of last week, I did weigh again on Saturday and had lost 2lbs, so that means I'm just a 1lb off my target. I know I should stop now, but it's very difficult. I don't want to go back to what I was eating before I started this, so I'm doing a kind of half-way house Dukan thing. It mainly involves eating galettes for breakfast, soup for lunch and chicken/fish/ham with salad or veg for dinner. Healthy huh? I don't miss the carb element, so I'm not going to eat it. Hannah is very aware of my propensity for extremes and that's why she's concerned about me missing a major food group from my diet. Maybe I'll just have it now and again when it fits in with a meal - a bit of wholemeal pasta, brown rice etc.

Oh what a difference 8 weeks makes...

I was talking to a bus friend today who, when noticing my sports bag, asked me if I went to the gym everyday.

'Not quite,' I replied. 'I do have Fridays off.'

She looked at me as if I a little crazy. She ramped this opinion up to completely mad when I then told her I had given up alcohol and cigarettes and had been on the Dukan for two months. It does sound slightly mad.

It's my birthday on Friday and my previous celebrations have entailed me getting completely slaughtered, sending inappropriate texts and chucking up on the train home and not remembering how I ended up in bed.  Most people are expecting me to do the same this year and I'm really worried about it. I wonder if anyone will notice if I sip non-alcholic cocktails? Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment