Wednesday 1 February 2012

To drink or not to drink

I'm not going to lie, and most people who know me will acknowledge the fact that I like a drink or two. In fact, at the back end of last year I had very little control over the amount I was drinking. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't turning up pissed for work and would only occasionally have a glass at lunchtime, but every evening would see me tucking into a bottle of wine. I have been through the mill a bit emotionally over the past few years and I liked the numbing effect the alcohol gave me. What I didn't like though was the pounds it added to my figure and the unpredictable edge in gave my moods. It got to the point where I would have to make sure I did anything that required concentration before I started on the wine. This would include making the dinner, writing or even reading the paper. I would very rarely stay awake beyond 10pm and then be awake at 3 or 4am with alcohol paranoia.

'Yeah, yeah, read that so many times before', I hear you say...and I agree. And you would of also read/heard about the many smugs who have had a dry January. I have done it a couple of times before, but it was so much easier this time. I'm sure it was down to me doing the Dukan. The changes in my diet have been so extreme that I haven't missed alcohol at all, I was too busy missing carbs. But everything has seemed so much better. I feel more in control, have more time, sleep better and spend more time with my kids. In fact, Imogen actually commented on the fact that I was still awake at midnight on Saturday and not asleep on the sofa!

The problem is January is over and I am now really scared to drink again. My friends are already talking about going out on the piss on Saturday and I really don't want to. I never thought I would turn down a big night our or be a victim of peer pressure at this stage of my life. And sadly the main reason is I don't want to mess up my diet. I am only 7lbs off reaching my target weight and I know that if I get back on the drink I won't lose weight this week. I also don't want to be that person I was last year. What to do? Piss my friend off or follow my heart? I think I'll suggest a movie!

2 comments:

  1. My advice for what it's worth. Reach your target weight and then decide what to do next - after all that was your goal when you first set out! Making one decision at a time simplifies life! I know I'm often trying to make 10 at once...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found the odd Gin and diet tonic makes no difference, glass of wine might prevent more loss, but beer is a disaster! @DukanNewYear

    ReplyDelete